MS-III
Monday, March 14, 2005
  Yuck
Well, I'm on call for the 2nd of 4 times this week and I must say that it really blows. Right now I'm on what amounts to a q2-3 call. I was on call saturday, now monday, then thursday, then sunday again. Yuck. Plus, I have a research project to complete this week and the school's email server is down so I can't retrieve what I've done so far and continue working on it.

I hate my life sometimes. The good news is I'll be done with this rotation soon. Sorry I haven't really said much about it - I just don't figure anyone reads my posts anyway and thus far (4+ weeks into the rotation) there isn't really much to talk about. This town is small and it sucks, the hospital sucks, the rotation director made it very clear to us that he doesn't like students from our school, and I'm feeling just a bit bitter about being sent out here to B.F.E. for my OB-Gyn rotation right now. The only cool thing is that I have pretty cool room-mates and most of the residents are actually cool to work with - not that there is much work to be done.

To this point in my OB-Gyn career, I have seen no deliveries and only one cesarean section. Most of my time on call and in this rotation has been sitting around waiting for something to happen, but it never does. Of course, there were the weeks of "surgery" and "clinic," both of which were about this exciting.

I feel sorry for anyone that has to follow us out here - it is really the pits.

Onto happier thoughts now - only one and one half weeks left on this rotation, then back to home-sweet-home! I'm so ready. One cool thing that I did while I was here is I went skiing. There is a ski resort only 4-5 hours away, so on my weekend off I went up there and tried to kill myself again. Next time, I'm going to try my hand at snowboarding - I'll probably really break my neck then!!

Nothing else really happening with me right now. Just watching and waiting - and trying to decide where and when I want to do all of my 4th year electives... It's time to get this stuff finalized and scheduled already. Of course, the school is being almost no help, which is about true to form for them. Tomorrow (after I have a nap after call) I'm going to make some phone calls and get some stuff settled already. I'm tired of the endless waiting for answers that never come. I'll just take things into my own hands.

So, here is a tentative list of 4th year electives - if I can fit them all in when and where I want them:

* Anesthesiology
* Emergency Medicine x 2 months
* EMS
* ICU/MICU/CCU (whichever)
* Radiology
* International elective/Medical Spanish elective (if I can get it approved by the school - which I hope)

Possibles include Cardiology (preferably with a large EKG/arrhythmia/acute MI component), a pedi EM or PICU month, and there is something else I can't think of right now. The biggest problem is that almost all of these will be away rotations, which means big $$$. I hope there are loans we can take out for all this travel and stuff.

Then there is step 2 of the boards. I haven't decided whether to take USMLE step 2 as well as COMLEX 2 or not. I've considered it, just because I think it would make me more competitive for my residency spots if I had USMLE steps 1 and 2 available when I apply, but that's another test to take, etc, etc, etc.

Of course, the whole residency thing is still pending as well. I don't really have to worry about it, because I think I'm going to take a rotating internship after school and apply for final residency during my internship. I don't know if I agree with the philosophy of the internship year, but the area in which I want to practice is one of the "famous 5" and I don't want to screw myself out of licensure by not taking the internship year and then not be able to get the year approved. So I'll take the hit, be a slave to the AOA for a year, then I'm off to the races.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
This is an online accounting of my experiences as a 3rd year Osteopathic medical student. The words here may be blunt and not altogether P.C., but I was never really one for political correctness. Regardless, get ready for the wild ride that is "Medical School - Year 3" Sounds sort of like one of those TLC series' doesn't it?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Blog Links
Medical Links
Non-medical Links
ARCHIVES
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005


Powered by Blogger