MS-III
Friday, December 03, 2004
  Vascular Surgery: Done and finished
I finished vascular surgery today. Overall, it was surgery - so it sucked. However, my preceptor was really cool. Very intelligent, very dry and crass. He was very cool. He and one of the other surgeons in the clinic were constantly back and forth with each other, cursing and joking with each other. The only thing I regret is that I didn't get to see much surgery. The only things that came in these past 2 weeks were vein strippings and port removals. These are not too interesting as far as surgery goes. My preceptor kept hoping for a good thoracic case, and, to tell the truth, so was I. I really liked the thoracotomy I saw in the ED last month and would like to have more experience with the patient with an open chest.

Anyway, today was my last day - and I found out yesterday there was to be an oral exam for this portion of my surgery rotation. Immediately, my stress level went through the roof. Actually, yesterday (at noon) when he told me about the exam, it was originally scheduled for yesterday afternoon. However, when I showed up, I waited for 45 minutes for him to arrive. Finally, he called and said he was stuck in a meeting, let's do it tomorrow.

So, I show up this morning ready for action (I think). I had no idea what this would be about - so I had to prepare for everything. The last day I read and re-read the vascular, thoracic, and pulmonary chapters so I would be prepared for everything and anything. I walk into his office, say "hi," and after the usual morning pleasantries we begin.

In actuality, it wasn't bad. It was a number of scenarios with patients that have vascular and pulmonary problems. I didn't know a lot of the questions he asked, but it wasn't very stressful and he never said "God, you're a f-ing idiot!" Not too bad at all.

Anyway, so my foray into vascular surgery is over. Next up is a 2 week Orthopedic surgery experience. And of course, today my vascular preceptor says the cool surgeries are now starting to come in... My crappy luck is quite intact.

more to come....
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
This is an online accounting of my experiences as a 3rd year Osteopathic medical student. The words here may be blunt and not altogether P.C., but I was never really one for political correctness. Regardless, get ready for the wild ride that is "Medical School - Year 3" Sounds sort of like one of those TLC series' doesn't it?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Blog Links
Medical Links
Non-medical Links
ARCHIVES
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005


Powered by Blogger