MS-III
Sunday, November 28, 2004
  The Eternal Sunshine of Vascular Surgery
One week through vascular surgery (although, not really a true week, since Thanksgiving fell right in the middle of it) and I must say all is going well. I like my preceptor - he is a huge smart-ass, just like me. Also, I have not had to be in surgery yet, both because of the holiday and because of the slow holiday season. Again, playing into my dislike of the O.R. I've done a lot of reading over the past week, attended several lectures, and had a bit of free time.

The only downside of the past week has been the impending doom of the holiday season looming over my head. I have yet to seriously begin shopping for my loved ones, and christmas is only 4 weeks away. I like spending the holidays with my family and loved ones, I just hate trying to come up with a gift that each will like and fits them well - especially now that I almost never see them. That makes it really hard to know what they would like or what they need. I don't like getting gift certificates, since I see that as a 'cop-out,' but sometimes I don't see any other choice: I could get them something they don't like, they can take it back and then spend the money on something else, but what would be the point of that? Why not just give them the money and save them the trouble of standing in line to return it? Oh, yeah - because it's a cop-out.

Catch-22, here I come.

I hate it when I say something and it reminds me of a medical condition (CATCH 22 is a mnemonic for the symptoms of DiGeorge's syndrome. It stands for Cardiac abnormalities, Abnormal facies, Thymic dysplasia, Cleft lip, Hypocalcemia - all due to a deletion on chromosome 22). I'll be driving down the road and I'll see the letters on a license plate and think, "hmmm.. DVT: Deep vein thrombosis," or something similar. It drives me nuts. I've done it for years, and it's always made me crazy.

And now, on to something completely different:

I watched The "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" the other day. Wow. I really didn't know if I'd like it (I had no idea what it was about..), but I rented it the other day. I must say, it had an amazing message. However, even if you don't get to the deeper meaning, the idea of the film is interesting: How many people would like to erase something that has happened in their past, but they are forced to live with it? This movie purports there is a way to absolve yourself of that suffering. The deeper meaning is what makes this movie really special, however. For those of you that have seen the movie, you'll know what I mean. If you haven't seen it, do so now - I highly recommend it.

Maybe sometime in the future we can discuss the movie. I just don't want to spoil the film for anyone.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
This is an online accounting of my experiences as a 3rd year Osteopathic medical student. The words here may be blunt and not altogether P.C., but I was never really one for political correctness. Regardless, get ready for the wild ride that is "Medical School - Year 3" Sounds sort of like one of those TLC series' doesn't it?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Blog Links
Medical Links
Non-medical Links
ARCHIVES
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005


Powered by Blogger