MS-III
Monday, September 13, 2004
  3 Years Past
Ok, so this entry is actually a couple of days late.

And there are many people who will think I am a complete and total @ss.

But I don't care...

September 11th has now become the newest (unofficial) commercialized holiday.

Only slightly behind Christmas in popularity, 911 has now been commercialized by the United States to mean, not the emergency response system it was meant to signify, but a day - 3 years ago - that we still mourn over like it was our own baby.

Wake up, people.

Yes, it really sucked. Believe me, I know - I was about an hour away from NYC when it happened. I got called in on my day off to work a 12 hour shift because the hospital had gone on disaster alert. I had no freaking clue what had happened when they called me and told me I needed to come into work. I remember the sinking feeling. But we need to move on.

Yes, I realize some 3000 people died. People die every day. We still need to move on. Tragic or no, untimely or not. We've killed over 1/3 that since in our little "war on terrorism." And that's just counting our troops. Nevermind the Iraqi people we've slaughtered.

Yes, I realize this was an open act of hostility against our country by a group of psychotic religious fanatics. We still need to move on or we run the risk of turning into THEM. Oh, wait - too late. We just don't do it in the name of religion. We do it in the name of W.

Yes, I realize we went to war shortly after this occured. I've said my piece about this. It was a mistake then, it is still a mistake now. We need to withdraw from Iraq post-haste, pour the money we are wasting over there into development of alternative fuel sources and rid ourselves of our dependence on the middle east altogether. If it weren't for oil, would we have ever been interested in that area? No. Why would we need to - they don't make anything but camelshit lotion and, oh yeah, OIL. Remember what I said last paragraph? W. Move on.

We need to silently withdraw from the world. No more troops, no more money. Just close our borders and say, "Sorry f*(kers.. you're gonna have to fend for yourselves for a few decades." Let all the starving Sally Struthers children starve (rather than live in the half-crap-ass existence your 17 cents a month can give them) and all the crazy nut-jobs kill each other. We'll be in self-preservation mode. And if anyone attacks us, we strike back swiftly - with nuclear weapons - and wipe whomever it was off the face of the earth. We're serious when we say LEAVE US THE F*CK ALONE!! No more of this surgical strike bullshit - just take the whole area we think they MIGHT be hiding in and make some glass...

Of course, I might be just a bit extreme.

I'm just tired of W using what is arguably the worst day in our country's history as a selling point for his re-election campaign and Kerry using it as his.

I'm tired of these crying families on the news bawling their eyes out - see a freaking grief counsellor and take Effexor (haha! That drug rep dinner really came in good for something, didn't it?) or something.

I'm tired of continuous news coverage of everything bad that ever happens. Hell, we have continuous news coverage of hurricane IVAN, and it hasn't even reached the US yet. There is a point when we need to turn off the news and look at something real. The news isn't real - it is some producers slanted view of the world.

We need to start reading again. Burn the cable companies to the ground and hand every man, woman and child in the country a freaking book. Tell them to read it (if they even know how to read - nearly 1/4 of high school graduates can't) and prepare a 2 page book report due the next week. If they can't read, shoot them - they've wasted 12 years of the country's resources. That's enough, no more, the store is closed.

And quit buying into all the hype about 911 - 3 years is enough time to grieve. These families have been through enough. Do we really need to drag them through it again every year? Have some compassion, people. Let them heal, let them move on. No more "well, it's been 3 years since we all watched your husband/father/brother/son jump off the 72nd floor to his certain death in order to escape the flames that were engulfing the building. How are you dealing with it? How do YOU remember that day?" How do you think they would be dealing with it when you just recreated the whole thing for them (all the while playing the film on national television)?

I hate newscasters.

I hate politicians.

I hate lawyers.

But I love America. I just wish she'd pick herself up by the boot straps and get back on track. She could be a great nation again if only she'd take care of herself and solve her own problems instead of trying to solve everyone else's for them. All the other countries in the world are big boys and girls - they can play alone for awhile.

What do you think about that?

-- Proud fighter for the highest common denominator!
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
This is an online accounting of my experiences as a 3rd year Osteopathic medical student. The words here may be blunt and not altogether P.C., but I was never really one for political correctness. Regardless, get ready for the wild ride that is "Medical School - Year 3" Sounds sort of like one of those TLC series' doesn't it?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Blog Links
Medical Links
Non-medical Links
ARCHIVES
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005


Powered by Blogger