MS-III
Saturday, August 07, 2004
  The "Doctor" Attitude
You know what I'm talking about - the expectation of respect from everyone you meet because you are a "doctor." The "I'm better than you" looks down their noses at everyone else in the hospital. The patronizing voice they use when you tell them there is a problem with their patient - the 'Doctor' attitude.

This is something I have made it my goal to dispel.

I was always taught that respect is earned, not given - and respecting someone for the fact that they went to school is just that, giving it to them.

I don't know how many doctors I used to want to smack right in the side of the head ("box their ears," if you're from the south) after encounters with them. They (some, not all) seem to expect everyone around them to wallow at their feet and kiss their rings or something if they are kind enough to come down off their thrones and speak with you. I HATE that. I'm tired of people being put on a pedestal because they went to school. Big whoop.. so did the manager at McDonalds (probably), doesn't make him better than any of his customers, why should a doctor be considered any better than any of his customers?

I am a person. I was a person before I went to school, I will be a person after I leave school. Nothing has changed except for the amount of debt I have collected and a couple letters after my name.

I still have to earn respect. It should not be given. It should not be given (repeated on purpose - I'm not schizophrenic).

That is why I have every intention of having my patients call me by my first name. Aside from the fact that they may not be able to say my last name, it makes it easier on me because that is what I am used to being called. It also reminds the patient and myself that we are equals.

I really don't much care for people that demand they be called "doctor x," because that is putting yourself above other people. If you are so unsure of yourself, don't go to medical school - that's not the place to try to raise your ego. You were given your name for a reason, use it. Be close to the patient, touch them, sit down next to them. They'll open up to you and it'll help build rapport. That's what medicine is all about - connecting with your patients and helping them to attain a better state of health. Not being adored by them because you went to medical school.

Besides, when did it become customary to call someone by their job? "Hey there, Cashier O'Donovan, how are you today?" "Pretty good, Customer DeLaughter. How about yourself?" How ridiculous. I think people that want to become a physician for the title should be caned.

Just my 0.02. Actual cash value: 0.00000000000001.

more to come....
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
This is an online accounting of my experiences as a 3rd year Osteopathic medical student. The words here may be blunt and not altogether P.C., but I was never really one for political correctness. Regardless, get ready for the wild ride that is "Medical School - Year 3" Sounds sort of like one of those TLC series' doesn't it?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Blog Links
Medical Links
Non-medical Links
ARCHIVES
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005


Powered by Blogger