MS-III
Thursday, July 01, 2004
  Growing pains
Ok, I guess I'm just having difficulties with the system, but so far in 2 days, I've had to retype 3 different entries. I guess it's just growing pains. Hopefully this will not continue for too long.

Today was a complete and total waste of time. First of all, I woke up at 0700 (ish) and then had my first class of the day at 0800. It was all about OSHA guidelines, standard precautions and infectious diseases. Nothing I didn't already know, aside from a list of the reportable diseases in the state of Texas.

Next was an incredibly boring lecture about how to use the I.T. system at the hospital across the street.

Then was patient confidentiality. Again, nothing much that I didn't know. Everything that was said was either so basic or something an idiot should know. Don't share health information with your newspaper boy, duh.

Next was a curriculum meeting. Basically, a bunch of students had lunch with the dean of medical education or something and told the faculty/staff what we thought was wrong with our curriculum. Not that anything we say will make a damn bit of difference.

After lunch, was a riveting session about documentation by a NURSE. Ok, not to sound crass or anything (especially since I am a nurse), but nursing documentation is nothing like physician documentation. Nurses write about how much crap a person left in the bowl, not about what their CVP or EF is. Give me a break.

Finally, we finished with a coma-inducing session about analyzing and critically thinking about medical literature. OH MY GOD.. I seriously could not stay awake for the life of me. I think I was placed into a coma by my subconscious to protect my fragile little mind. Repression has its uses.

Anyway, so that was pretty much my day. Much fun, huh? And now I'm going to drive Ashleigh to Lewisville to pick up her car. That is a complete cluster fuck as well. I'll tell you about it sometime...

more to come...
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
This is an online accounting of my experiences as a 3rd year Osteopathic medical student. The words here may be blunt and not altogether P.C., but I was never really one for political correctness. Regardless, get ready for the wild ride that is "Medical School - Year 3" Sounds sort of like one of those TLC series' doesn't it?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Blog Links
Medical Links
Non-medical Links
ARCHIVES
June 2004
July 2004
August 2004
September 2004
October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005


Powered by Blogger